Mary Bell Jones was born 1861 in Bala daughter of William, a draper, and Ann Jones. In 1881 she was living at Upper Hope Place, Liverpool with her widowed mother and siblings. She married, in Liverpool, Charles Edmondson Williams in 1886. Charles was born in Ruabon to William and Martha Williams but his family moved to Oswestry where his father worked as an accountant with his brother-in-law Hunter Edmondson as his clerk, on Oswald Road.
Mary and Charles lived on Salop Road, Oswestry with Lady’s maid, a cook and house maid and a nurse – 14 year old girl Sarah Roberts, born Pool Quay. for the children in 1901. Eight of their nine children survived they were all born in Oswestry between 1886 and 1906 Mabel (1886), William Henry (1889), Bertha (1890), Charles Bernard (1891), Ann Myfanwy (1893), Norman Edmondson (1899), Dorothy Mary (1900) and Phyllis (1906).
They had an affluent life style. In 1911 the family lived at Salop House, 13 Salop Road, Oswestry, a 10 roomed house with 2 servants Edwina Rogers, 20, cook & housemaid born Chirk; Eleanor May Ralphs, 16, housemaid born Oswestry. Charles was a land agent & chartered accountant. Their son Charles Bernard was a pupil in land estate office.
In 1912 Charles was elected as Oswestry Town Mayor. He served 2 terms as Mayor between 1912 and 1914.
During the war Mary was a member of the committee concerned with “Comforts for Soldiers”, making items such as blankets, rugs, knitted clothing and bags to send to serving soldiers.
Mary died in March 1919.
In 1920 Charles Williams married Harriet Lloyd. He died 29 March 1935 at Beech Mount, Oakhurst Road, Oswestry. He left £3920 17s 3d to his widow Harriet Williams and Charles Bernard Williams & Hugh Bird Jones Solicitor.
Charles was buried 1 April 1935 in Oswestry Cemetery and his son Charles Bernard was buried with him on 23 February 1943.