Oswestry was very busy in the Great War and had a number of hospitals. The Cottage Hospital was already active in the town before (and after) the war, but took in wounded soldiers and recruited VADs to work in all roles.
Auxiliary hospitals were mostly large private houses used for convalescence.
During the war Oswestry had 3 auxiliary hospitals:
The Ardmillan Hospital was open all year and had 31 beds. In 1918, 247 patients from the War Office convalesced there. A patient’s average stay was 41.4 days. The Ardmillan had a donkey called Neddy, used to raise funds at social events for the war effort and to give soldiers a ride – boosting their morale.
Pentre Pant Hall Hospital was open 334 days a year. It had 40 beds and in 1918 provided convalescence to 214 patients from War Office. An average patients stay was 36.2 days .
Brynkinalt Hall Hospital, Chirk opened for 301 days a year. It had 26 beds and took in 139 patients from the War Office in 1918. The average patient stay was 38.2 days.
In addition, Park Hall Camp Military Hospital had 866 beds.