Annie was born around 1882 to parents, Stephen and Mary Elizabeth. At the time of in the 1901 Census of Wales, Annie was aged 19, living at Castle Road, Chirk, and working as a school teacher.
In 1901, Annie’s father was employed Colliery Engine driver at Black Park Colliery Chirk, one of the oldest colleries in North Wales. Annie’s siblings were Jane G, age 22, Drapers Assistant, Annie Ethel, School teacher, 19 yrs, Robert, 15 yrs, a Clerk at the Colliery, Edith, 12yrs & Sarah E age 9.
The 1911 census shows Edith working as an assistant teacher and living at Colliery House, Chirk Green.
It is likely that Edith was employed Chirk National School – the only school in Chirk at that time.
In 1905, a Children’s Hospital at Brynkinalt Cottage was founded in Chirk by Lady Trevor, Countess of Bantry. She employed 2 full time nurses, one to work at the hospital & one as a District Nurse.
When war broke out in 1914, the hospital was offered to the War Office, but the offer was only taken up to accommodate the mounting casualties in 1916/17. The Drill Hall, Station Avenue was added as an annexe to the wartime hospital – providing extra accommodation for the wounded. Lady Trevor took over the administration of Brynkinalt Military Auxiliary Hospital and was appointed Commandant, working alongside Dr Charles Scott as medical officer.
During this period of time, Annie became a Nursing member of Denbigh, offering her services to the war effort. Her VAD cards shows the date of her engagement as March 1915. She Worked part-time, contributing approximately 305 hours at intervals during 1918 at the Extension of Brynkinalt Auxiliary Hospital Chirk.
Annie continued to work as a teacher during the daytime, as a comment on her VAD card illustrates: “The shortness of hours worked is due to her being a teacher and only free in evenings”.
Annie was still single at time of time of her termination from service at Brynkinalt Hospital in 1919.
Annie died in 1949 at the age of 68.
C. Neville Hurdsman. A History of the parish of Chirk: Chapter 14: Medicine
Former girls’ school, Holyhead Road, Chirk