First World War auxiliary hospital used by the British Red Cross and St Johns Ambulance.
Pentre Pant, located on Oakhurst Road, Oswestry, was the home of Robert Arthur Montgomery, a retired army major, originally from County Down, Ireland and his wife Maria Maud Montgomery, a Londoner.
Maria Maud Montgomery (nee Gosling) was born in London on 17 Nov 1855. She was the daughter of Richard and Maria (Nee Shuldan born Ireland) Gosling. Her father was a banker. Maria married Robert Arthur Montgomery on January 111881 in Ashford Kent. Robert, a Captain R.A., was aged 32 and Maria 25 year old given as having no occupation. Fathers both style themselves “Gentleman’
In 1911 they were living at Pentrepant Hall, a 17 roomed house, they had been married for 30 years. They had no children but have a niece living with them Kathleen Marion Hackett from Ashford, Middlesex and19 year old nephew William Richard from Blackheath Kent who was a Cambridge undergraduate. They had 4 female servants; a cook Elizabeth Davies, 48 from Whittington and 3 housemaids from Chirk- Mary Ellen Davies,34, and Catherine Davies, 27 and Sarah Ellen Hughes, 25.
Maria died 29th May 1929 and her husband Robert in 1931. They are both buried in Grey Abbey, County Down, Ireland, Robert Montgomery’s family estate. Maria left £5609 14s 1d to husband.
Report on the closure of PENTREPANT HOSPITAL published Llangollen Advertizer Friday January 3 1919 stated
‘This hospital being now closed, Mrs. Montgomery would like to thank the people of Oswestry and surrounding villages, for all the hospitality they have shown her patients and for many kind gifts.
Some she has been able to thank personally, many she has not , and she hopes they will now accept this expression of her gratitude for the I help they have been in cheering up the wounded men. Many men have told her they will never forget their time in Oswestry.
Mrs. Montgomery hopes they will not, any more than she will, forget all the kindness shown to her and the hospital. She would also like to thank the men of Dr. Lewis’ detachment for the efficient and ungrudging help they gave, when she had need of them.’
‘THE GRAMMAR SCHOOL CHAPELThe last service of the term was held on Sunday when, in spite of the very inclement weather, the Chapel was crowded. Several carols were most effectively rendered by the choir and the sermon was preached by the headmaster. The offertory, which amounted to £3 8s, was given to the three local hospitals towards the fund for providing a small personal Christmas gift to each wounded soldier. The amount has been allocated as follows:
Ardmillan Hospital, £ 1 12s.; Pentrepant Hospital, £ 1 Is.; Cottage Hospital, 15s