Mary was born in Greenwich in 1882. Her father was Major General James Dowell Swayne (1828-1916) her mother Mary Morris Swayne (1846), she had two brothers Stephen C (1885), James C (1887) and a sister, Grace G (1886). Mary also had a Governess in 1901 called Eleanor D Evans (1865) from Llanymynech. In 1911 she had moved with her parents to ‘Swaynthorpe’, Ditton Hill, Surrey. The family always had servants.
Mary was a member of the Red Cross in December 1911 and also Assistant Superintendent with the London 18 VAD. She then moved to London 24 VAD in November 1912 and became Hon, Secretary of the Greenwich and Woolwich VAD in August 1914; she became Hon. Secretary and Assistant County Director (Lewisham) until January 1917 and then went on to become Hon. Commandant London 166 VAD. She stayed there until February 1918 and then moved to Palace Auxiliary Hospital, Gloucester as Commandant where she served until May 1918. In September 1918 she moved to Park Hall Military Hospital, Oswestry until the end of the war serving as Commandant.
Post War Years
Mary never married, she died around 1936 (there is no accurate record held), her last address on her VAD card was the Empress Club, Piccadilly, London.