Constance Adela Wingfield was born on 24 April 1878 in Onslow, Shropshire to Charles G Wingfiled and Jane Wingfield of Onslow Hall.
Charles was born in Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown and, in the 1891 census, was recorded as a Land owner and magistrate living off his own means. Jane Mary Anne Bridge was born in Quebec Canada. She was a widow when she married Charles in Somerset in 1865. They had two children – Constance and Chas. Ralph Wingfield (born 1874). Also living with them in 1891 was French tutor, Francois Jeunnie.
Constance married William Best in July 1903. William was born on 24 June 1874 in Paddington, London. Together they had four children: Harry George (1904 – 1975), Frank Charles (1906 – 1987), Hilda Mary (1910 – 1995) and John William (1912 – 2000).
In 1911 the family were living at Vivod Hall, Llangollen, a large home with many servants. William is described as a Landowner and retired Army Captain.
During the War Constance Best ran the Llangollen War Guild. She coordinated local groups and individuals to make supplies such as knitted socks, bandages, hats, gloves and other items to send to soldiers serving on the frontline.
Captain William Best was Chairman of Llangollen General War committee of which Constance was also a member.
William Best died on 18 April 1950. Constance lived until the age of 84 and died on 26 March 1963.
The wedding of William and Constance was mentioned in the Llangollen Advertizer on 10th July 1903:
MARRIAGE OF CAPT. W. BEST. REJOICINGS AT LLANGOLLEN.
The marriage of Capt. W. Best, of Plas Vivod, Llangollen, and late of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, only son of Capt. J. C. Best, R.N., and Mrs. Best, widely known in this part of the kingdom, attracted great interest throughout North Wales, yester- day. The happy event was celebrated at Bicton Parish Church, the interior having been attractively decorated for the occasion, in the presence of a large and fashionable gathering including representatives of the leading families of the border counties. The bride – Constance Adela, only daughter of the late Colonel Wingfield, of Onslow. Shropshire-was given away by her brother, Mr. Wingfield. She wore a white satin dress, trimmed with passementerie and a Brussels lace veil and carried a bouquet of lilies and stephanotis. She was attended by seven bridesmaids viz., Miss Cookson (cousin of the bride), Hon. Evelyn Hill, Hon. Leila Hill-Trevor, Hon. Sibyl Roche, Miss Helen Best (cousin of the bride- groom), Miss Payne-Gallwey and Miss Perkins, who wore dresses of white sun ray pleated muslin edged with lace, blue chiffon sashes and wreaths of forget-me-nots with tulle veils. The bridegroom presented each with a pearl enamel bracelet and they carried bouquets of white lilies tied with blue chiffon. The bridegroom was accompanied by Capt. O. Flower, R.W.F., as best man. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. W. Wingfield, assisted by the Ven. Archdeacon Wynne-Jones (vicar of Llangollen) and the vicar of Bicton. The happy pair subsequently left for Norway where the honeymoon is to be spent. The event was signalised by public rejoicing’s at Llangollen, many tradesmen, at the invitation of the Urban Council, decorating their premises. On Monday night a largely-attended town’s meeting, convened by Mr. E. R. Parry, chairman of the Urban District Council, had been held in the Assembly Rooms, Llangollen, to consider the steps to be taken to celebrate the marriage. The Chairman read a communication from Capt. Best and Mrs. J. C. Best expressing their desire to entertain the children of the town and Eglwyseg schools to tea on the day of the wedding.-A strong committee was formed for the purpose of carrying out the arrangements, with Mr. Parry, as chairman, Mr. R. S. Richards as treasurer, and “Mr. Oswald Thomas as secretary.-It was agreed to present the bride and bridegroom on their return home with a suitable gift, and arrangements were made for cannon firing, bell-ringing, outdoor sports, etc. An executive committee was appointed to carry out the details of the celebration which included tea for the school children in the pavilion a procession of children from the pavilion to the recreation ground, headed by a band and sports on the recreation ground. These arrangements were admirably carried out and the beautiful weather that prevailed added materially to the success of the celebration which is bound to be remembered as a red letter day in the calendar of the little ones for many a year to come. At the rent audit of the Plas-yn-Vivod estate at Llangollen, on Thursday, Capt. W. Best was presented by the tenantry with a wedding gift in the form of a handsome silver kettle, bearing the family crest, and his own monogram. The presentation was made by Mr. John Roberts, Bache Canol, and Mr D. Jones, Tycerrig, two of the oldest tenants on the estate. The following is a complete list of the wedding presents