Brynkinalt Hospital was located at Chirk Green, near Oswestry. In 1898, when Brynkinalt Cottage was vacated by its tenant, Lady Rosamund Trevor, Countess of Bantry placed a District Nurse there to serve the parishes or Chirk and St Martins.
Lady Trevor was the second wife of Arthur William Hill Trevor. The couple married in 1897 and had their only child, a daughter, in 1899. She died in 1904 aged just 5 years.
In 1905 Brynkinalt was opened as a children’s hospital. Two full time nurses were employed, one to work at the hospital and one as a District Nurse. Further staff were added, including a gardener who was expected to also work in the kitchen when required. From 1906, children’s lessons were introduced – possible taught by Lady Trevor herself. A nursery maid and two servants were also employed.
Income to the hospital was very limited. Patients only contributed a small amount, even when the hospital opened to adults in 1908. Small donations were made by local organisations and a collection box was placed at Chirk surgery. Workmen at Brynkinalt Colliery began paying £10 a year. Black Park Colliery would soon match this and in 1916, W Y Craig, the new owner of Byrnkinalt Colliery, gave £10 in support of the adult ward. The Ifton Miners also contributed.
When war broke out in 1914, the hospital was offered to the War Office, but the offer was only taken up to accommodate the mounting casualties in 1916/17. The hospital opened for 301 days a year. It had 26 beds and took in 139 patients from the War Office in 1918. The average patient stay was 38.2 days.The Drill Hall, Station Avenue was added as an annexe to the wartime hospital – providing extra accommodation for the wounded. Lady Trevor took over the administration of Brynkinalt Military Auxiliary Hospital and was appointed Commandant, working alongside Dr Charles Scott as medical officer.
Two nurses listed as working at the hospital were Annette Graesser and Cecil E Lovett.