Annie Humphreys was born at Dovaston, Kinnerley, near Oswestry in 1878. She was the daughter of an agricultural labourer.
In 1901 she was working as a servant to farmer Edward Goff (1847), his wife Margaret (1841), stepson Edward Moreton and his sister Elizabeth, who was a companion to Mr Goff.
By 1911 Annie had moved on to Eardiston House, West Felton where she worked as a parlour maid. Here she worked for farmer, John Oswell and his wife Mary. Also working in the 16 room house was Margaret Jones (a cook) and John Jones (houseboy).
Annie was a member of the Red Cross and was selected and placed on to the Shropshire Reserves VAD on 22 May 1916.
Annie was trained in first aid, hygiene and invalid feeding. She was enrolled on the 3 May 1917 and sent to Dartford War Hospital on 12 September, where she worked as a nursing sister until 12 October 1918.
The Southern Convalescent Fever Hospital at Gore Farm near Dartford was established by the Metropolitan Asylums Board in March 1884. In 1890 a second hospital was built by the board to the north-east, the two hospitals becoming known as the Lower and Upper Hospitals.
Between May 1915 and 1920 the Lower Hospital became No. 24 Dartford War Hospital for German prisoners of war and internees. The hospital had 48 beds for officers and 1,034 beds for other ranks. Many of the POWs were seriously wounded and in poor condition having been brought by boat into Dartford from the Front. Some of the POWs were employed on local farms.
By 22 October Annie was back in Oswestry and stationed at Park Hall Military Hospital where she stayed until 8 December 1919.
Sources: www.ancestry.co.uk, British Red Cross Archives and Museum, www.roll-of-honour.com, www.hartley-kent.org.uk